A day in Amsterdam

Wednesday 17 December 2014



Last weekend we drove to Holland. Yes you can do that from Paris. You can even take the train - something I'm going to do more of, now having been and loved it and not wanted to leave... We stayed with friends in Rotterdam in their beautiful apartment (more about that later) and then had a day trip in Amsterdam. I'd heard good things about the city, although admittedly mainly memories from friends who had visited the city during their youth to try and get their hand on illegal substances of the smoking variety. Luckily the city has cleaned up its questionable reputation and is now a destination for design, coffee, shopping, sightseeing and eating - all of my favourite things rolled into one. We managed to pack in a lot in eight hours, but this is definitely a city you need to spend a good 2-3 days in to really make the most of it. Here's a quick little guide if you're planning to go below, and hoping you like the photos. (It's not so easy to stop and snap every five minutes when you have a man in tow...)

- Nine Streets (great shopping area, where we spent most of our time)
- Coffee and Coconuts (Amsterdam's newest hotspot for coffee and breakfast - it's a huge three-storey space in a converted 1920s cinema)
- KOKO Coffee & Design (good coffee and clothes)
- HAY (amazing design and things for the home)
- WEEKDAY (for jeans & clothes)
- Athenaeum Nieuwscentrum (great magazine shop where we spent a small fortune)
- Wolvenstraat (good lunch place for tasty pizzas and sandwiches)
- Bloemenmarkt (flower market)


KOKO Coffee & Design

9 comments :

  1. Oh these are lovely photos, Marissa - it looks like so much fun! I'm planning a trip to Amsterdam in January after my finals, so thank you for the little guide :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm visiting Paris by train next week! So happy you enjoyed Amsterdam and these pictures are so lovely!

    Love, Rachel
    www.herheadintheclouds.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to see these beautiful photos of Amsterdam on your blog! Also happy to hear you liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos of one of my favorite cities!! I'm glad you liked it. I remember how surprised I was the first time I went. I expected it to be grimy and smoky and sleazy and, instead, it was one of the cleanest, smartest cities I've ever visited! I'm so jealous you are so close to visit it!

    xoxo
    emilie

    www.emiliedayan.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. First and last time I was there I was 17 and I don't think I cared much... since then I've always had a vague wish to go back, but after looking at your gorgeous photos I'm convinced i have to... it's so close there's no excuse!
    I'll have to write down your list :)
    xx
    Yle

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks lovely, hope you bought some tulips! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pics! I've never been to Amsterdam but it's on my bucket list.

    http://memoriesofthepacific.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    Simply, admirable what you have done here. It is pleasing to look you express from the heart and your clarity on this significant content can be easily looked. Remarkable post and will look forward to your future update. Thanks, have a nice day. For more info please visit Amsterdam Tour

    ReplyDelete
  9. timberland femme pas cher Chuaidao timberland homme pas cher little bastard. Fast forward many years, that scene is also timberland femme pas cher somewhat blurred. cheap no longer think about it, chaussure timberland pas cher wiped his eyes and asked her sister, thy name is you. Against cheap arms, a sense of security for many years without timberland femme pas cher her around in timberland femme pas cher the surrounding. Seems to be reluctant to leave the embrace of cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground