At Home With Alison

Tuesday 5 August 2014



I was put in contact with Alison and Lauren from The House that Jack Built earlier this year by my friend Lauren, as I was told they both had rather lovely apartments in Paris. She was not wrong. Last Friday I visited Alison at her home in the 11th to take some snaps. 

After working in the fashion industry for a few years in London, Newcastle native Alison came to Paris six years ago for 'a change'. She met Lauren while working at the Rose Bakery. They then began working spontaneously together after organising a fundraising party for the Tsunami in Japan in 2011 at Candelaria (part owned by her boyfriend, Josh) using the theme of Hanami - the Japanese cherry blossom celebration. They have since worked for Colette, Stella McCartney, Coca Cola and Gap, among others.

Alison's apartment is spacious and light and set back from a main street through a large courtyard - a rare find in Paris. It's filled with plants, vintage finds, knick knacks and Ercol furniture which all beautifully suit Alison's personal style.  

Scroll down to read the full interview! 


How would you describe your interior style?
1970s school teacher /indoor greenhouse

Favourite piece of furniture?
The vintage wicker coffee table that I bought on Ebay.

Favourite places/shops to buy for your home?
Ebay or brocantes for furniture. Labour and Wait in London for kitchen & home.

Interiors/style that have inspired you?
Maybe subconsciously my Grandma's house and my parents house - they both have Ercol furniture (as do I) and lots of plants and books - my mum's favourite colour is green.

If your flat was burning down, what three things would you take with you?
My boyfriend, my favourite photography book, Farm by Jackie Nickerson - I bought it new more than 10 years ago when it was first published and it is now selling for more than 10 times the original price on Amazon (= over 500€), so it feels almost irreplaceable - I never get bored of looking at it.
And thirdly the collage that my boyfriend and I made on our second date (!)

Where do you look for inspiration?
I try to find inspiration offline as much as possible - going to exhibitions, browsing bookshops and magazines.

Favourite social media mavens?
@louisphilippedegagoue / http://www.louisphilippedegagoue.blogspot.fr/
@susiebubble / www.stylebubble.co.uk

Online reading material?

What was the last good book you read?

What’s on your magazine pile?
Acne Paper, System Magazine, Metal Magazine

Breakfast or dinner?
Breakfast

Evening drink of choice?
A Curado at Le Mary Celeste

Tea or coffee?
Tea

Bedside table essentials?
Hand cream and almond oil

How did you find your flat?
On Facebook - through a friend, after 6 months of looking.

Any advice for people searching for a flat in Paris?
Be persistent!

And finally your favourite places in Paris!
The Broken Arm for tea, Le Mary Celeste for a drink and Bob's BakeShop, or at home for juice. I also really like Juice It - a new cold press juice bar in the 2nd.


4 comments :

  1. Waouh, beautiful appartement ! I particularly loved the teapot, could I ask you if you know where it comes from ? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Sophie! I think Alison got the teapot from Labour and Wait in London! xx

      Delete
  2. Beautiful Alison, beautiful flat and beautiful photos - bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Kim! Really glad you like the photos and yes Alison is a beauty ;)

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground