Hydrangeas at Home

Wednesday 27 May 2015


In my endless quest for better living, one of the things I'm constantly, almost stubbornly aiming to improve are my green fingers. Despite my love of flowers and all things green, this skill unfortunately does not come naturally. Over the years I've killed bonsai trees (remember when those were trendy?), numerous orchids, potted herbs (most recently mint and basil) and even cacti, and the now fashionable succulents, which are notoriously easy to care for. I've put it down to the fact that unlike pets they don't wind around my legs and make noises when they're hungry. But I'm persevering, as I think no home is really complete without some plant life. 

So this weekend, I replaced the dead basil and mint with sweet-smelling, lusciously green pots and bought two beautiful pink hydrangea plants from the market (not usually a colour I'd go for, but they were almost grinning at me in the sun), to pot in the balcony boxes that have been sat sad and empty since we moved into the apartment last September. I got out my little trowel, laid magazine paper down on the wooden floors and began throwing soil into the boxes, I even repotted the aloe vera plant, the one plant (besides a coffee plant that the boy has been tending to and somehow kept alive for the past 2 years) that appears to be thriving, and which has begun to sprout uncontrollably, along with two or three little offshoots. And I'm quite pleased with my handy work, I'm even keeping an eye on them, noticing when they wilt a little as a sign that they need water. When speaking to my mum Sunday night, who is naturally green-fingered, boasting how her garden is in full bloom, she suggested I talked to them. I'm not sure I'll be going quite that far - again unlike animals, there's no noise of reciprocation, but I am trying to keep a beady eye on them. Are you good with plants? 

In other news, the brilliant Domino Magazine featured my workspace on their site over the weekend, you can read about my desk essentials here. We tried the delicious (but pricey) Pulperia on Friday night - an Argentinian restaurant that serves some of the best pork I've ever tasted, along with huge cuts of Argentinian beef, good if you're a serious carnivore. I also lunched at Clamato for the second time in a month (a habit that I don't mind making!) with Clerkenwell Boy - if you're heading to London, make sure you're following him for food tips and restaurant openings. 


6 comments :

  1. They're so pretty! Hydrangeas are definitely some of my favorites...and they're so cool because you can change their color by what you put in the soil! I have heard that talking to plants works but I've never tried it (except for shouting "WHY ARE YOU DYING?!"). Maybe it's the extra carbon dioxide?

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen, thanks for your comment! You made me laugh when I read this! Well they're still alive for now.. but very demanding - drinking water like it's going out of fashion! And yes it must be the carbon dioxide :) xx

      Delete
  2. So pretty! Well done, you! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tricia! When are you back in Paris? x

      Delete
  3. love the plants, and pink! my favourite colour. a great way to start my Sunday, looking at your pics! talking does work and you need to give them good vibrations, they can feel the love, just as they can feel the bad vibs. remember what i told you, they hate loud music so no horrid rock music or headbanging stuff, but then i know you thankfully aren't into that (but is the boy?) love the mooxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we only play good music in this apartment, so that's fine! xxx

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground